May 6, 2011
Red Velvet Sandwich cookies
1 (18 oz.) box package Red Velvet cake mix
1/2 C. shortening
1 tbsp. water
For the Cream Cheese Filling
• 1 pound cream cheese, softened
• 2 sticks butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, optional
Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. With a wooden spoon or mixer, combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Chill in refrigerator about 30 minutes.
2. Shape into 1" balls. Roll in powdered sugar, if desired.
3. Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, 10-12 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. Let chill in fridge a couple hours before assembling.
Spread the cream cheese frosting between 2 cooled cookies and roll the edges in finely chopped pecans, if desired. Store in refrigerator.