Pages

Mar 14, 2010

Sweet 'N Sour Chicken


I DID IT!! ! !!! I conquered making homemade Sweet and Sour chicken! And you know what, ?? It turned out very scrumptious!! YUM YUM! This recipe will EASILY feel 4-5 people, so you may want to cut it in half-- or invite friend over!! lol. Can I just add, this batter is THE BOMB!! Its very light, like tempura. Would make Excellent onion rings!!


Sweet 'N Sour Chicken


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Oil for frying
2 green peppers - cut into 1" pieces
1 onion cut into 1" pieces
1 can pineapple chunks - drained, save juice
salt & pepper

Frying Batter:
1 cup water
4 oz. flour
2 oz. corn starch
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
salt
1 TBLS cooking oil


Sauce:

1 cup pineapple juice 1/3 cup water
2 TBLS vinegar
2 TBLS soy sauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 TBLS corn starch
1/2 cup ketchup
**combine all ingredients with whisk in saucepan. stir and heat until thick. Set aside.

Prepare batter. Drop all chicken into batter (I salted and peppered my chicken before adding to batter).


Heat oil in large pan, drop battered chicken into hot oil, and cook until golden brown. You may need to separate the pieces after you drop them into the oil so they don't clump. Also, you may need to do them in batches like I did.





Once all chicken is cooked, set aside. Add onions and peppers to pan, and stir fry them until just tender. Add chicken back to pan. Add sauce, and pineapple and stir fry a few minutes until thick and Serve!!

.
.

2 comments:

remw said...

Lori this looks SCRUMDILLIUMPTIOUS! I am definitely going to try this tomorrow.

lorlor54 said...

Let me know how it turns out!! I think its pretty great! LOL!! I just wish the super light crisp chicken would stay crispy once the sauce is added! ggrrrrr